Get Legal Information

Visit Washington LawHelp for free legal publications and self-help packets.

Get Legal Help

Find out how to Get Legal Help and if you qualify for free legal aid.

CLEAR Hotline

If you are low-income, call our toll-free hotline, CLEAR  (Coordinated Legal Education, Advice and Referral). You can call CLEAR Monday-Friday from 9:15 am to 12:15 pm, at 1-888-201-1014.

You can also Apply Online.

Generally, we first screen callers for income eligibility and type of legal problem. If it’s not a type of problem we can help with, such as a criminal law problem or personal injury case, we’ll do our best to refer you somewhere that can help.

CLEAR gets many calls. It may take a while to speak to someone. Please be patient.

Persons 60 and Over:

In addition, seniors age 60 or over may call CLEAR*Sr at 1-888-387-7111, regardless of income.  Assets limits may apply. Call us to see if you qualify. Seniors in King County may call 2-1-1.

If you are eligible for our services:

Your call will be forwarded to an attorney or paralegal for an in-depth interview to assess your legal problem. We will provide advice and immediate assistance if possible. In addition, we will determine if you need additional legal help and try to arrange further assistance. Help may be provided by phone and electronically OR refer you to a local NJP field office or other legal services program for more help.

NJP CLEAR attorneys will often help a caller by preparing court papers, negotiating on your behalf, and otherwise advocating for you. Read more about Calling CLEAR.


Interpreters   American Sign Language

Deaf and hard of hearing or speech impaired callers can call CLEAR or 211 (or toll-free 1-877-211-9274) using the relay service of their choice.

CLEAR will conference in interpreters when needed at no cost to callers.


>Back to Get Legal Help