Get Legal Help
Do you need legal information or self-help packets?
Information about your legal rights and self-help legal packets including court forms can be found online at www.WashingtonLawhelp.org.
Do you need to speak to an attorney?
CLEAR is Washington’s centralized intake, advice and referral service for low-income people seeking free legal assistance with civil legal problems.
You can begin the screening process by calling our toll-free phone number or through CLEAR*Online.
Should I apply online or call your phone number?
- Government benefits or loss of housing other than foreclosure (most problems in these categories): If you complete an online application and appear to be eligible for our services, we will offer to call you between 8:15 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Foreclosure Prevention Unit (FPU): Our FPU helps people who are threatened with home foreclosure. If you need help with a foreclosure call 1-800-606-4819 to see if you are eligible for free legal help.
- Veterans Project: 1-855-NJP-VETS (855-657-8387)
Other legal problems, including family law: We will not call you; you must call CLEAR. However, completing the online application provides some benefits:
- Our phone lines are open for limited hours and are very busy. The online application will help you determine if you qualify for our services and whether you should call CLEAR.
- If you call and speak to one of our screeners, your phone interview will be shorter because we will have the information you have submitted.
- Whether or not you qualify for our services, at the end of the online application, we will provide legal resources related to your problem that may be helpful.
Outside King County: Call 1-888-201-1014 weekdays from 9:10 a.m. until 12:25 p.m. CLEAR works with a language line to provide interpreters as needed at no cost to callers. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please call 1-888-201-1014 using your preferred TTY or Video relay service. Deaf or hard of hearing callers may ask for an appointment with the CLEAR*ASL program to have an intake done by video phone with an attorney fluent in ASL.
King County: Call 211 for information and referral to an appropriate legal services provider Monday through Friday from 8:00 am – 6:00 pm. You may also call (206) 461-3200, or the toll-free number, which may be useful when calling from a pay phone, 1-877-211-WASH (9274). 211 works with a language line to provide interpreters as needed at no cost to callers. Deaf and hearing-impaired callers can call 1-800-833-6384 or 711 to be connected to a relay operator at no cost, who will then connect them with 211. Information on legal service providers in King County may also be accessed through 211’s website at www.resourcehouse.com/win211/.
Persons 60 and Over: Persons 60 or over may call CLEAR*Sr at 1-888-387-7111, regardless of income. People who call CLEAR*Sr will be asked to leave a message with their name, phone number and whether it is all right to leave a message. The CLEAR*Sr line will close once the voice mail message system is full. Low-income seniors may call the CLEAR line at 1-888-201-1014, from 9:10 a.m. - 12:25 p.m. Also, low-income seniors calling the CLEAR*Sr line at 1-888-387-7111 have the option to transfer to the CLEAR line, and if eligible, may speak with an advocate that day.
See What Can I Expect When I Contact CLEAR or CLEAR*Sr? for more information.